Benefits of Hungary government scholarships 2021
Awarded international students Students will receive many benefits throughout their study period, including:
- Full exemption from tuition and registration fees at the university.
- Health insurance.
- A monthly stipend (120 euros) for Bachelor’s and Master’s students.
- Doctoral students get a monthly stipend of 390 euros in the first phase and 500 euros in the second phase.
- Free university housing or financial support to contribute to housing costs.
- Preparation year for learning the Hungarian language if the program is in the Hungarian language.
Types of scholarships available in Hungary
The following table shows the types of scholarships offered and the duration of study for each program.
|Study program||Duration (academic year)|
|Bachelor’s degree programs||2- 4|
|Master’s degree||1.5 – 2|
|One-tier master programs||5-6|
In addition to the above programs, undergraduate students can apply for the Hungarian scholarship to study in a Hungarian university for 1-2 semesters. This category of scholarships falls under “cultural exchange scholarships.”
What is one-tier master programs?
It is a one-level program consisting of 10 to 12 semesters and is applied for after high school. This type of program is offered for medical, legal, and engineering majors.
In the Hungarian education system, one-tier master’s programs cover both bachelor’s and master’s degrees, it is an undivided major program that results in a master’s degree.
These one-level programs are offered in specific subject areas such as general medicine, pharmacy, and dentistry, architecture, law, veterinary surgery, forest engineering, etc.
Hungary Scholarship Eligibility
The Hungarian Government Scholarship 2021 announced a number of conditions that must be met by the applicant, including:
- The applicant must not be a holder of Hungarian citizenship or hold the status of “temporary protection” or “asylum”.
- The applicant must not be less than 18 years old.
- Those who have received the Hungarian scholarship cannot apply again.
- International students have to meet the conditions of the university they intend to apply for.
Note: All students applying for the PhD program must have a supervisor at the host university
Eligible Nationalities for Hungary Government Scholarships
All citizens of countries that have diplomatic relations, bilateral educational cooperation, and agreements with Hungary are eligible to apply for scholarships.
The Hungarian Scholarship Program is implemented through direct cooperation with the below-mentioned countries, and the application for the scholarship does not require any additional fees.
Below is a list of eligible countries for the Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship program.
Eligible countries for full-time programs:
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Cabo Verde
- Kurdistan Regional Government
- North Macedonia
- South Africa
- State of Palestine
- the Philippine
- United Mexican States
FAQs about Hungary government scholarships 2021
Applying for the Hungarian Scholarships can be a bit long and many students have difficulty understanding the application and selection process.
Below you will find the most frequently asked questions about Hungary Scholarships.
- Is it required to pay a fee to apply for the Hungarian scholarship?
No, applying online (registration) and taking entrance exams is free of charge.
- Should applicants be nominated by their country?
Yes, only nominated applications will be sent to universities.
- Can I edit my file after applying for the Hungarian scholarship?
Some adjustments are possible. For example, you can upload documents that you did not have before the application deadline. However, your programs section cannot be modified in your online application. You cannot add new programs nor can you modify the order of priorities. Also, please do not delete any of the selected programs. This way, you will only reduce your chances of getting accepted.
- Why are some countries not eligible to apply?
Because there is no educational cooperation program between those countries and Hungary.
- Does the applicant have to have a passport to apply for the Hungarian scholarship?
You can start and submit your application without a passport. Instead of a passport copy, you can download the scanned copy of any identification document that can be used to prove your identity (such as your national ID card). In case you do not have any identity document before the application deadline, you can upload a signed consent confirming that you will have the required document and upload it.
Available majors in Hungary government scholarship 2021
International students can apply to 31 Hungarian higher education institutions on the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship for the 2021/2022 academic year with more than 350 study abroad programs (more than 300 programs in English ).
Study programs are generally available in English and Hungarian, with some programs offered in German and French as well.
You can access available study programs and host institutions in the Hungarian scholarship application system.
Important note: Applicants can choose two majors, either in one university or more than one university, bearing in mind that the first choice will have a higher selection priority.
How to apply for the Hungarian government scholarship 2021?
All Hungarian scholarship applications must be submitted through Tempus Public Foundation’s online application system.
After registration, applicants can access the application system and upload the required documents.
Please note that no applications will be accepted without applying online and after the deadline. No hard copies required.
After completing the application process, the initially accepted applications are sent to the responsible authority in your country (For example, Pakistan Ministry of Higher Education.)
After that, the responsible institutions nominate a number of applicants and forward the list to Hungarian universities to complete the admission process.
Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship process for international students
The application process for the Hungarian Scholarship goes through several stages and lasts for almost a whole year, during which the transition is made from one stage to another.
Applying for the Hungary Government Scholarship goes through the following stages:
- Applying via the Hungarian scholarship system, and the institution represented in your country.
- Technical examination and nomination process.
- Sending acceptances from the universities.
- Announcing the results of the Hungarian scholarship at the end of June 2021.
- Visa application process.
- Arrival in Hungary.
Main scholarship application documents:
- Online application form.
- Motivation letter.
- Proof of language proficiency and its translations in the language of the chosen study program or in Hungarian.
- Certificates and transcripts in the language of the study program or in Hungarian.
Application deadline for the Government of Hungary Scholarship: January 16, 2021 – 23:59 (CET).
You can apply for the scholarship by following the official links below,